Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Gift Ideas for Book Lovers

I am contemplating what to get for a couple of book lovers in my life. Being one myself I know the easy way is to give them a gift card to a bookstore or a book. That got me thinking what are unique bookish gifts I could find...

BOOK ENDS
I found some really beautiful book ends. The ones that caught my eyes were those antique ones which looked like they could match any decor and make an interesting piece. I have books stacked throughout the house and they tend to topple and slide all over. I think these pieces  would be useful AND nice looking to have.

Sailing Ships Nautical Book Ends 


Library Books Book End

Fierce Dragon Mystical Muted Soft Green Color Bookend 

Aren't these beautiful? I like that I can put as many or as little books in between them as I want. 

BOOK GAMES
I'm a fan of board games because they always bring the family together. I was pleasantly surprised to find book board games!

 
Book Lover's Memory 

Book Lover's Scrabble 

Who'd have thought? A Scrabble for book lovers. I'm game!

BOOK CHARACTERS DOLLS
I thought this was really neat. For the popular books that have been made into films, there are so many inspired toys around. Check these Hunger Games dolls out.

Barbie Collector Hunger Games Katniss Everdeen Doll 
The Hunger Games Movie "Peeta in Training Day Outfit "


















E-READERS
This seems pretty obvious but it can be confusing knowing which one is best. If the reader is just starting out I would suggest the basic dedicated one. My first e-reader was a basic kindle with ads and I loved it. The ads weren't noticeable and only showed up on the main screen where all your books are listed NOT while reading the book. When you power off the e-reader a bigger ad shows up as a wallpaper, which I like because a couple of times a deal or two have caught my eye.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Black) 

If you have a reader who is new to e-reading this is the one I recommend. It has a long battery life so you can read it for a while before charging, there's no glare if you take it outside and  it doesn't get hot in your hands. 

The Kindle Paperwhite version is available. It has a built-in-light so you can read in the dark and is a touchscreen. It's slightly heavier than the basic but serves the same purpose of being a dedicated e-reader. 

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers 


If you like to read and play at the same time, then there's the Kindle Fire. This is basically a tablet. You can read on it, surf the internet and use it beyond reading. It has color so it's ideal if you read a lot of comic books or photography books , for example where there are a lot of colors. The battery of life isn't as long as a dedicated e-reader but with it you can have the best of both worlds.

Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers 

If you are buying an e-reader device for the first time and are worried about paying too much for digital books, you'll find there are plenty of free ebooks available from classics to indies. Often publishers will also discount their ebooks. You just have to be on the look out for them or check out this site.

BOOK CHARMS
Some of the cutest things I found were  book related charms. I would love to have this!

Sterling Silver Pride and Prejudice Book Charm 

or this...










I Love BOOKS Charm 




 It turns out there are many bookish gifts are there. If they are unique, functional then that's a plus for me. I hope this gives you an idea of what to get for the book lover in your life. Happy Holidays!