Saturday, December 15, 2012

Books for Children: The Little Golden Books

My love for reading started at a very young age. Pretty much ever since I could read I've been reading. There were Fairy Tales, Disney Classics, pop-up books and these series of books that I remembered for having shiny gold spine covers...The Little Golden Books. I love this series and  I think every child should be able to experience them. As much as I enjoy ebooks, when it comes to children's books I prefer print copies for a number of reasons. In a world where everything seems to be going digital and at lightning speed I want them to be able to experience the feel and look of reading a book. Plus, like many parents who worry about children watching too much television or spending too much time on the computer, I don't want them to become dependent on a digital screen to access their literature. I started thinking about which books I started with and although there were many, I remember these beloved stories with the golden spines best. They are still around! I think children today can still enjoy them at their own pace and hopefully it will help kick start their love of reading like it did for me.

The Golden Books are recommended at Ages 3 and up. I found a variety of stories, some classic and others new that any child can enjoy. I recommend these. They are obviously short and colorful and if they are like the originals, they will will have hard board covers that will last.

How Do Penguins Play? (Little Golden Book) by Elizabeth Dombey

This playful rhyming Little Golden Book asks, "How do penguins play?" Children will delight in watching bear cubs, seals,  penguins, monkeys, and other animal friends frolicking joyfully with each other. Adorable pastel illustrations show these animals playing king-of-the-hill, keep away, and other fun and familiar games.









The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey

One of the original 12 Little Golden Books, The Poky Little Puppy has sold nearly 15 million copies since 1942, making it one of the most popular children’s books of all time. Now this curious little puppy is ready to win the hearts and minds of a new generation of kids.












Remember these classics?



I miss these beloved classics. I think these stories have stood the test of time and children today can enjoy it. More likely both parent and child will have a great time reading them together. There are tons of children's books out there. For me, when  I think back to my childhood, books like Goodnight Moon and The Little Golden Books comes to mind first. When I think of the best books for children, what books to start young and new readers with, what my own favorite reads were, this series is one I definitely recommend.